|Class A||Fifth Wheel||Pop-Up Campers|
|Class B||Travel Trailer||Boat Trailer|
1. What is the proper way to parallel 2000 and 3000 generators to gain power, and what is the advantage of this?
You can only parallel like EU models: any Honda EU2000i generator with any other Honda EU2000i generator, a Honda EU3000is generator with another EU3000is generator, a Honda EU3000i Handi generator with another Honda EU3000i Handi generator.
To properly parallel Honda generators, we recommend the use of parallel cables or kits offered by Honda Power Equipment. If you need a 30A receptacle with two EU2000i generators you can use a kit, or ensure that one of the EU2000i generators being used is a Companion model.
The advantage of parallel generator operation is that you can double the output. This is useful for high loads and starting electric motors such as air conditioning compressors.
2. Which generator is right for your needs—capacities for start-up power and running power—what is the difference between start-up wattage and running wattage?
Electric motors (inductive loads) like air conditioning compressors and microwave ovens (capacitive load) draw more power at startup than while running. Therefore, you need a generator that can handle start up needs as well as handle running power.
3. Why is Honda the best choice in a portable generator, since there are other brands on the market that are cheaper?
Compact, fuel-efficient Honda generator models provide smooth and safe power for recreational, emergency and home use. All Honda Generators meet or exceed EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) emission standards, and are characterized by the same fuel-efficient technology that is behind the company’s reputation for unparalleled durability, quality and reliability.
Additionally, Honda Power Equipment has an extensive service network. Camping World is an authorized Honda service provider.
4. How often does a Honda generator have to be serviced?
Please refer to the Owner’s Manual for the complete maintenance schedule. Good maintenance is essential for safe, economical, and trouble free operation. You can help protect your investment by following the recommended maintenance schedule. Remember that your servicing dealer knows your generator best and is fully equipped to maintain and repair it. Camping World is an authorized Honda service provider.
5. How does inverter technology work and what are the advantages of an inverter-type generator, like the Honda EU series?
A multiphase AC output is rectified into DC then inverted into AC. This removes the requirement of the engine to run at 3600 rpm to make 60 Hz AC power. It also dramatically reduces the size and weight of the generator. This reduction is possible since Honda inverter generators have the alternator built into the engine itself and eliminates the need for a bulky independent alternator.
As compared to standard generators, inverter-type generators put out more stable electricity in the form of a superior sine wave at 60Hz. This is very important for the operation of sensitive electronics. Also, inverter generators provide better fuel economy and quietness due to their ability to run at lower engine speeds at light loads.
6. What do you mean by “clean” or “high quality” power? Does it matter?
Honda Inverter Technology takes the raw power produced by the generator and passes it through a special microprocessor that provides ultra-clean power. Honda inverter generators produce power that is as reliable as the power you get from your outlets at home. Computers and other sensitive electronic equipment require this type of power for safe operation.
7. Honda generators don’t look very big. How can they produce so much power?
Although they may look small, Honda inverter generators feature a smaller engine running at a higher speed, as there is no requirement of the engine to run at 3600 rpm to make 60 Hz AC power as is the requirement for conventional alternator-style generators. Therefore, a good deal of power can be produced from a small package.
8. My RV has two air conditioners. How big a generator do I need?
The type of generator needed depends on several factors, including, operating conditions, what accessories the generator will be operating, and the capacities for start up power and running power. Honda Power Equipment offers an online wattage estimation guide to help consumers approximate the amount of power various household appliances require to operate. Please visit www.hondapowerequipment.com, and then select the “wattage estimation guide” under the “how much power do I need” link. You can also visit the nearest Camping World facility.
An EU3000i is an excellent source of power for most 13,500 BTU RV A/C units. Two EU2000is linked in parallel with the optional Honda cables would also be a great solution to your needs. Be sure to turn off hidden loads like water heaters, battery chargers in inverters and switch the refrigerator to propane (not “automatic” mode.)
9. How do I know how many watts my electric accessories use?
Please check the owner’s manual or the data tag for the accessory’s power requirements. If the information is not available from the manufacturer, Honda Power Equipment offers an online wattage estimation guide to help consumers approximate the amount of power various household appliances require to operate. Please visit www.hondapowerequipment.com, and then select the “wattage estimation guide” under the “how much power do I need” link. Additionally, Honda offers an appliance load tester accessory available through Honda dealers, for exact calculations.
10. What’s the eco throttle and what does it do?
Honda’s Eco-Throttle system automatically adjusts engine speed to the optimum level, given the usage load, through a load-dependent speed control-type governor. This not only results in excellent fuel economy, but also makes a quiet generator even quieter. Eco-Throttle is standard on all inverter models of Honda generators.
Honda’s Eco Throttle™ not only reduces fuel consumption and operating noise in the normal usage range, it also keeps exhaust emissions to levels within even the strictest CARB and EPA emissions standards.
11. How quiet are the generators?
Honda’s Super Quiet EU Series of generators are as the name implies -- super quiet. Thanks to the use of inherently quiet OHV engines and quality construction, Honda EU generators boast incredibly low sound levels.
12. How much fuel do Honda EU Series generators use?
Honda portable generators are extremely fuel efficient. Actual fuel consumption will depend on the model and the load required during operation.
13. Please send me the type of oil to use and the octane fuel to use in my Honda EU2000 watt generator. Does mid grade or premium make any difference?
The Honda EU2000i’s engine is certified to operate on regular unleaded gasoline with a pump octane rating of 86 or higher.
SAE 10W – 30 oil is recommended for general use.
Please reference your owner’s manual for further fuel and engine oil recommendations.
14. I got a new Honda generator, used one time, drained oil, put new oil in and now when I try to start it, the oil light turns on and it shuts down. Please help.
15. I just purchased a Honda 2000 companion. On idle it seems to idle rough. I have a 1000 and at idle it is very smooth. Should I be concerned?
Thank you in advance.
It is difficult to troubleshoot possible solutions to these issues without seeing the units in person. Please take your unit to the nearest Camping World service facility or Honda Power Equipment service location for diagnosis and possible repair. Honda Power Equipment offers a dealer location on line that will help you quickly locate a local dealer. Please visit www.hondapowerequipment.com, and then select the “dealer locator” link at the top of the page.
16. I have a Honda EU2000 generator that I purchased from Camping World. It has a DC outlet, and the owner's manual says to use this DC outlet to charge "Automotive Type 12v Batteries only". The DC outlet is about 18.5v and the outlet is labeled "8 Amps" I have been told that I cannot charge the coach batteries because they are deep cycle batteries, and this generator cannot be used to charge such batteries.
DC output from a generator is unregulated and therefore unsuitable for this type of application alone. It would be best to obtain a deep cycle battery charger and plug it into the AC receptacle on the generator.
17. I own a Honda generator and it was originally purchased for emergency purposes for power outages. I would like to use this equipment for RV purposes however it is quite noisy and I'm sure that I would have more than a few unhappy campers on my hands. Question: Is it possible or ever wise to replace the stock muffler with a quieter one? Would it harm the engine? The unit is a Honda Gc160 5.0 with a 2800 watt output. My local muffler shop says it is possible to replace the muffler however this unit still produces engine noise. Claims no harm to the engine.
The emissions of your generator may be impacted if you change the muffler. For this reason it is recommended that such a modification not be made. The quietest generators Honda produces, such as the Super Quiet EU Series of generators, are specifically designed for noise reduction, and are fully enclosed units. Generators emit sound from the engine cooling fans, the alternator, intake tract as well as the exhaust and the sides of the muffler.
18. When are you going to sell the EU3000is with remote control?
Unfortunately, Honda can’t share its future product plans, but your feedback is appreciated. Honda has always been known for quality and innovation and is dedicated to making quality products and options to meet customer demands.
19. I will be using my generator in Alaska and also some higher elevations.
At what elevation do I need to adjust the generator, and where and how do I adjust it for higher elevations??
Check with your Camping World service specialist before you go or take the unit to the nearest Honda Power Equipment dealer for main jet changes for use of your generator above 5000 feet. Honda Power Equipment offers a dealer location on line that will help you quickly locate a local dealer in Alaska. Please visit www.hondapowerequipment.com, and then select the “dealer locator” link at the top of the page.
20. "The starter, battery, and metal were removed when the Handi was created but this unit is more expensive than the EU3000iAC." What makes it more expensive?
The Handi uses new materials such as magnesium to achieve part of its weight reduction. The Handi also boasts high quality power output thru the "tuned-up" GX160 engine with a 32-bit microcomputer & Built-in STR (Electronic) governor. The Handi was created with the wheel kit and handle bar as standard (a value based on Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price of $93.99). The Handi's Suggested Retail Market Price is in-line with its three key selling points: Lightweight, Compact, and True Portability.
Find out about new products, special offers and a whole lot more!