Making a DIY solar oven for S’mores is a fun summer project for kids. You can take it camping on your weekend getaways to the campground or just have fun in the backyard on a Saturday night. Either way, being outdoors and eating chocolate are two things that everyone enjoys.
There are many ways to make a DIY solar oven. Here’s how we recommend doing it:
Supplies you will need:
- Cardboard box with attached lid. Box should be at least 3 inches deep.
- Clear plastic wrap
- Aluminum foil
- Black paper
- Tape (transparent tape, duct tape, masking tape or whatever you have)
- Wooden skewer, stick or pencil
- Scissors or Xacto knife
- Ingredients for S’mores (graham crackers, jumbo marshamallows, chocolate candy bars)
How to Make a DIY Solar Oven
- Line the inside of the cardboard box with black paper. A shoe box or pizza box works well because the lid stays attached.
- With scissors or Xacto knife (with adult help), cut a three-sided flap out of the top side of the box, leaving at least a 1-inch border around the three sides.
- On the inside of the box, cover the opening under the flap with plastic wrap and tape or glue it in place.
- Cover the flap with aluminum foil. Make sure the foil is flat and smooth as possible to make it like a mirror.
- Using the wooden skewer or stick, prop the flap open. You may use tape or glue to make the stick stay put.
Time to put the oven to work
Set the oven in the direct sun, with the flap propped to reflect the light in the box. Preheat the oven for at least 30 minutes.
Break the graham cracker in half to make squares and place inside your solar oven with a jumbo marshmallow on top of each cracker. Don’t add the chocolate yet, it will melt very quickly in the sun. Place your solar oven in direct sunlight with the flap open. Let it cook.
The marshmallows will take anywhere from 30 – 60 minutes to cook. Once the marshmallows are squishy, open the lid and place a piece of chocolate on top. Place another graham cracker on top of the chocolate and press down to squash the marshmallow.
Now it’s time to enjoy your tasty treat!
See ya by the campfire.
Source: Photos by Tiffany, The Campy Mom